Features & Benefits
Description/Indications for Use
The Collagen Vascular Graft™
Our Collagen Vascular Graft™ consists of a biological fibrous matrix processed to enhance long-term patency and provide a tightly woven, cross-linked conduit that is flexible and compliant.
Artegraft is intended for use distal to the aorta as an:
- Arteriovenous shunt
- Segmental arterial replacement
- Arterial bypass
- Arterial patch graft
- The use of the Artegraft for femoropopliteal bypass should be reserved for those patients where the autologous saphenous vein is absent or inadequate. It is also not recommended for reconstruction across the knee joint. However, in the absence of other viable alternatives, the surgeon may well find the benefit to risk ratio warrants its use as an attempted limb salvage procedure.
- Handles and feels like native vessel
- Minimal or no suture line bleeding
- Superior tensile strength permits lateral and longitudinal expansion without weakening the graft
- Anastomotic compliancy relieves stress, reducing the the likelihood of stenosis and intimal hyperplasia
Artegraft’s 100% biological collagen matrix is nonreactive and nonantigenic.
“Our initial experience with the BCA graft began in 2004 and our early impression of this conduit was that it resulted in less inflammatory response at the site of implantation and less infectious complications while also allowing for easier surgical handling.”
“Elasticity mismatch between the stiff ePTFE graft and elastic native tissue at the anastomosis site causes wall stress, leading to cell proliferation.”
“One approach to solve the problem of compliance mismatch is to use more elastic material such as decellularized xenografts, as AV grafts elastic mismatch problem is to use natural, instead of synthetic material.”
“Although only speculative, the lower rate of graft thrombosis may be due to less or slower developing neointimal hyperplasia in the BCA group.”
Journal of Vascular Surgery, June 2011, Volume 53, Issue 6, Pages 1640–1648. A prospective, randomized comparison of bovine carotid artery and expanded polytetrafluoroethylene for permanent hemodialysis vascular access.
- Ease of access is similar to native fistula
- May be accessed 10 days post implantation versus weeks for synthetic graft
- No “weeping” or “rolling”
Artegraft’s natural collagen matrix minimizes fistula needle site bleeding and leakage, thereby restoring hemostasis.
- Over 49 years of continuous clinical use with proven advantages
- No other material, natural or synthetic, has been proven superior to Artegraft
Naturally pulsatile and compliant – easy to feel the thrill and hear the bruit.